Purpose: to support attendance at short training courses.
Grants of up to £1,000 are available to enable members to go on short training courses in the area of Genetics research, e.g. those run by Edinburgh Genomics, MRC Harwell, and Wellcome Genome Campus. In some cases, longer courses or visiting another laboratory for training may be allowed. Eligible expenses include travel, accommodation, subsistence and tuition fees.
Criteria for Eligibility:
- A maximum of one Training grant per individual per two years will be awarded.
- Only one application from any research group will be funded in any one year.
- Open to those with a UK base wishing to attend training courses within and outside of the UK and to non-UK-based students wishing to attend a training course in the UK. We regret that we cannot consider applications from bases outside the UK for training course attendance outside the UK.
- When a relevant course is available in the UK, a detailed explanation is required of why the applicant should be funded to attend a similar/the same course abroad.
- Recipients of these grants must submit a short report within two months of completion of the project, for possible inclusion in the Genetics Society newsletter.
How to apply:
Applications should be made online via the Genetics Society Grants application site. Once you have logged in to the mySociety membership portal, please select “Me and the GS” followed by “Grants” from the options at the top of the page, and then choose the Training Grant.
Deadlines are quarterly (15 February, 15 May, 15 August, 15 November).
A supporting statement from the applicant’s supervisor, who must be a current member of the Genetics Society, should be uploaded via the online application form before the quarterly deadline. However, if the applicant is a named investigator (PI or Co-I), this is not necessary.
The Genetics Society aims to notify the decision within one month of applications. Applications should be submitted at the earliest opportunity, and at least 3 months in advance of the start date of training. We regret that feedback on unsuccessful applications is not available.