Purpose: to support attendance at short training courses.
Grants of up to £1,200 are available to enable members to attend formal short training courses in the area of Genetics research, or longer visits to another laboratory for training in specific genetic/genomic techniques. See our Events page for course suggestions. Eligible expenses include travel, accommodation, subsistence and tuition fees.
Criteria for Eligibility:
- A maximum of one Training Grant per individual per two years will be awarded.
- Only one application from any research group will be funded in any one year.
- Open to those with a UK base wishing to attend training courses within and outside of the UK, and to non-UK-based students wishing to attend a training course in the UK. We regret that we cannot consider applications from bases outside the UK for training course attendance outside the UK.
- When a relevant course is available in the UK, a detailed explanation is required of why the applicant should be funded to attend a similar/the same course abroad.
- Recipients of these grants must submit a short report within two months of completion of the training for possible inclusion in the Genetics Society newsletter.
How to apply:
Applications should be made online via the Genetics Society Grants application site. Once you have logged in to the mySociety membership portal, please select “Me and the GS” followed by “Grants” from the options at the top of the page, and then choose the Training Grant.
If you have any queries regarding the application process or are experiencing any difficulty with your submission, please contact email@example.com
Deadlines are quarterly (@midnight on: 15 February, 15 May, 15 August, 15 November).
A supporting statement from the applicant’s supervisor, who must be a current member of the Genetics Society, should be uploaded via the online application form before the quarterly deadline. However, if the applicant is a named investigator (PI or Co-I), this is not necessary.
The Genetics Society aims to notify the decision within one month of applications. Applications should be submitted at the earliest opportunity, and at least 3 months in advance of the start date of training.